Monday, June 06, 2005

Neatening Loose Ends

Most of my window epic is resolved. I spent a couple of hours grinding and polishing, then I installed the lexan panel in the frame. Why lexan? We did this since it's the front window and we don't have a rock guard covering for it. Eventually, we hope to fabricate a covering and return glass to the window.

Meanwhile, reinserting the window went smoothly. I cut away the bottom (not showing) part of the gasket in the corner, filling the gap with Parbond caulking. The result is fairly acceptable, as shown in the photo below.

Not exactly perfect, but at least fairly inconspicous damage

The frame is pretty much done, except for one side (not showing). I ran out of gasket and I'm waiting for Airstream Dreams to send me more to do that last edge and one final window.

After finishing with this, I spent time organizing tools and cleaning up the trailer. Looking at the whole situation, I realized I didn't want to deal with refinishing the woodwork, so I took on a different project, cleaning the stove. It's actually indoors now, since we took it out of the trailer. I was amazed at the layers of crud covering it. Right now, the outside surfaces are clean, but the inside still has more grease than I'd like under the cooktop (though I tried to clean that, too). Right now, I'm hoping to get this powdercoated--it would allow me to change it to a bright turquoise (look at my interior shot here and tell me it wouldn't look great) and as a bonus, would cover the chips in the enamel (not really visible in this photo). But the local powdercoater isn't sure he can paint this one, so I'm going to bring it by his shop Friday for the verdict.

It's nice what a bit of elbow grease can do...now if only it were turquoise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - great site - wonderful details. I'm just getting into the vintage trailer restoration stuff. Recently bought a 1974 VW Thing that is a BLAST - especially in the climate in Reno - use it as my "town" car.

My website below has nothing to do with cars or trailers but it's worth a look if you're interested in Small Biz issues.

Just wanted to tell you that your site is great and I can tell how much time and effort you put into it.

Best wishes on getting the project finished.