Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Airstream Roadshow!

Well, just back from a super weekend up in New England! While we arrived too late at Antiques Roadshow for filming our valuations, I may be appearing on public television stations around the country next winter extolling my excitement over my dear, beloved Rubic's Cube. Yay! In the for what it's worth side of this blog, here are my tips for your next Antiques Roadshow appearance:
  1. Try to get early entry tix. The experts are all on a race to claim airtime, so filming slots go fast.
  2. Avoid bringing paintings or glass items, unless you are convinced they are really valuable and willing to stand in line forever.
  3. You will not have a long wait if you have an ancient antiquity--however, Roadshow rules forbid coins. The antiquity guy needs more business!
  4. The most familiar experts end up being the friendliest and most helpful. The dirt I got is that the newbies tend to get nervous about finding items that will get them airtime, not getting customers or supporters.
  5. When I mentioned our trailer to the experts, most gave very envious sighs. Airstreams are really desireable to dealers, who have to tote their stuff around the country and have a sense of style.
  6. Going to Antiques Roadshow is a blast (and we loved Noel Barrett), even if you don't make TV!
So, it's a crunch this week. Rick's going to pick up a new jack. I'm going to try to get everything clean in the house so I can do some woodwork after work the rest of the week. Yikes, but things are, in their very haphazard way, coming together.

2 comments:

Pschoerrn said...

Hi Mary,

a very nice blog you have and an even nicer Airstream. Love to see your progress!

best wishes to my old home (I lived with my parents in Newport News for one year as a 10 year old boy).

Bjoern from germany

Fireflyinva said...

Bitte, Bjoern! What an adventure to stay in Virginia for a year--you must have been rather confused by everything! My sister spent three years working in Germany--we love it there, too!